The page cannot be found. HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
3 October 2005
The error "The page cannot be found" is displayed in the 'Preview' tab of the 'View Maintenance' window of the AnyView IDS Console.
In addition, when navigating to the AnyView IDS URL (e.g. http://mywebsite/AnyViewIDS) the same error message is displayed in the browser window.
This error occurs when the AnyView IDS web application is installed on a web server running Windows 2003 Server (IIS version 6.0), and the web service extension ASP.NET is not installed or is not allowed.
When Internet Information Services 6.0 (IIS) is first installed, only static content such as '.htm' pages are served. In order to allow ASP.NET applications such as AnyView IDS to run, ASP.NET must be installed and enabled in IIS 'Web Service Extensions'. If this functionality is not installed/enabled IIS will return a 404 error.
In order to resolve, verify that ASP.NET has been installed, and ensure that this extension is allowed. You can check to see if ASP.NET is present, and can enable or disable this web service extension, from the 'Web Service Extensions' node in IIS Manager. To do this from the IIS server:
- In IIS Manager, expand the local computer, and then click 'Web Service Extensions'.
- In the details pane, check to see if the ASP.NET web service extension is present and allowed. If ASP.NET is not present, you will need to install it first, and then repeat this procedure to verify that it is allowed. Please see the section 'Installing ASP.NET' below.
- If the ASP.NET is present but prohibited, select it and click 'Allow'.
- Click 'OK'.
If ASP.NET is not present in the 'Web Service Extensions' node in IIS manager, then ASP.NET has not been installed on the web server. To install ASP.NET on the web server:
- From 'Control Panel' on the web server select 'Add/Remove Programs'.
- From the 'Add/Remove Programs' window click on 'Add/Remove Windows Components'
- From the 'Windows Component Wizard' select 'Application Server' and click on 'Detailsâ€¦'
- From the 'Application Server' window select ASP.NET and click 'OK'.
- Back on the 'Windows Component Wizard' click 'Next'.
- The installation and configuration of ASP.NET will begin. Click 'Finish' when complete.
- To verify that ASP.NET is present and enabled follow the steps outlined above.
You should now be able to browse the AnyView IDS web application. If the 404 error persists after following the steps in this article, please review other articles in the Accountable Software support knowledgebase for common causes of this generic error message, and if need be contact the Technical Support team for direct assistance.